About Me

I am a crafty and thrifty fun lovin' stay at home mom of 3 amazing kids. I love learning new skills and putting them to use. I also enjoy a good deal and sharing my finds! Life is wonderful and you don't need a lot of money to make it fun!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

How to make a purse pinata!



Items:
Styrofoam balls(I got mine at Dollar Tree, two 6 packs)
6 pieces of tissue paper
paint
news paper
card board box or paper for extra support
water
flour
bowl
glue sticks
thin wire or plastic string(will need a large needle)
embellishments
First make your pinata paste:
2 cup flour mixed with 2 1/2 cups water in a big bowl
cut news paper into strips about 2 inches wide
Sorry I don't have a picture right now, but I make plenty of pinatas so I will make sure I take a picture next time!

Create your shape. I used a box for support around the sides and cut out all center pieces. I then continued dipping newspaper into the glue and then laying it across my shape. Let it dry over night.


In the mean time you can paint your Styrofoam balls. If using a spray paint, you may want to use something to keep them from rolling around when you are spraying them. I chose this awesome purple from Lowe's.



Once your pinata is dry you can start covering it with tissue paper. I chose this fabulous hot pink also from Dollar Tree. Cut it into length strips and then fringe it along one of the long sides. Glue them across the pinata starting at the base then working your way up to the top. Cut a flap at the top to fill the pinata.


When you are finished covering the entire pinata you can add embellishments, I used my cricut machine. Next you can start the handle. Take your wire or pictured here plastic string and large needle. Tie and thread through your Styrofoam balls. Tie through the top of the pinata.


Here is the finished product!
I made this for my friend's little girl's birthday party. The next day she came over with a thank you card she made. I asked her is she liked it and if lots of candy broke out of it. She gave me a sheepish look and said that they didn't break it and then ran off. I thought that I had made it too hard and that they couldn't break it. I felt so bad, imagining all these little kids trying to break open this pinata and after trying forever not being able to break it! I was so happy later that day when I talked to her mom and that it wasn't that the pinata didn't break, but that she didn't want anyone to break it. It is now a decoration in her bedroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment